Bulletproof coffee has revolutionized mornings for this tired mama of three. But what on earth is it? It sounds rather rugged and hardcore, doesn’t it? Don’t be intimidated.
It is quite simply a way of preparing your coffee with a few extra products and a blender. It has changed my morning game completely. I am also finding it a wonderful tool as I follow weight watchers and shed the weight from my babies, particularly on days where I intermittently fast (12-16 hours between dinner and breakfast.)
Here on my third maternity leave in 4 years, I am well acquainted with the trenches of sleep deprivation and rough nights. I hear you mama! Currently I have a 4, 2 and six month old in the house.
With each successive baby, the odds have become increasingly low that I will get a full night sleep, or even go into the restorative deep cycles of sleep, because my senses are on full alert for any sniffle the baby makes.
I’ve always loved coffee but after reading the books Bulletproof and Headstrong by Dave Asprey, a successful tech entrepreneur who then went on a years-long quest to optimize his energy, focus and cognitive ability (as well as lose weight and gain vitality.) He is the ultimate example of self-experimentation and because of this, his book is full of candid anecdotes, the latest research and little gems of information to optimize ones energy.
These are the books on Amazon where you can choose paperback (or) kindle.
One of the biggest things I took from his books was upgrading my morning coffee, to a Bulletproof Coffee and I absolutely mean it, this has completely changed my morning game as a busy mama of little crazy ones.
Preparing my coffee as a bulletproof coffee solves the following problems:
- Remove the caffeine jitters and anxiety that comes with (lots) of cups
- Prolong the sweet, sweet feeling of energy and feeling alert / awake
- Rebuild my connective tissue and heal my gut
- Provide the ability to intermittent fast with maximum results
- Removes the need to have breakfast (linked with the above bullet)
- Maximize ketones in the blood for fat burning
It is no secret that coffee is a bit of a crutch in this temporary exhausting stage of life, but the best part is that, like wine, coffee is one of the great pleasures of life and zero fucks are given when you are in the midst of it with little ones.
We are really lucky in our household, that my husband micro-roasts organic coffee (if you are curious, his website is Five’21 Roasters) so we always have it on hand.
I first heard about Bulletproof coffee in the CrossFit community, but I didn’t have a clear understanding of it, and thought it was a passing trend 5 years ago – until relatively recently when I finally downloaded Headstrong to my Kindle. I read the book after getting sick (and tired) after childbirth and was really getting frustrated with my post partum brain fog.
Following the protocols in the book has helped me a ton in the areas it promises to.
So anyways, read it, it’s a solid read. Highly recommended.
So now, let’s get into Bulletproof coffees.
1.) It is a way of preparing your regular cup of coffee that releases the maximum benefits of coffee and adds a few “super powers” to it (see bullets above.)
2.) It is also the name of a brand, started by Dave Asprey, who wrote the book “Bulletproof” that espoused the benefits of a Bulletproof coffee. I use these products and love them.
Personally, I prepare my coffee in the bulletproof way, but also use the bulletproof products.
- Wakes you the f*ck up
Basically, a bulletproof coffee does this:
- Wakes you the f*ck up
- Helps fix the gut lining (butyrate in butter)
- Maximize antioxidants (coffee is a rich source of polyphenols)
- Prolongs the caffeine alertness & prevents fatigue (Brain octane oil)
- Helps energy & vitality ( Brain octane oil is a fantastic fuel for your brain & the mitochondria)
- Helps feed the cells lining the gut and the cells that make up your connective tissues (collagen)
- Staves off hunger (protein in the collagen and fat in the butter / cocoabutter / brain octane)
- May help fat loss (if used as part of an intermittent fasting protocol, the MCT oil in the bulletproof can help release more ketones into your blood, promoting fat burning as an energy source.)